We have busy lives as moms, wives and career women. And often all three at once! For some of us, dressing up in high heels, expensive designer clothes or tight dresses doesn’t fit our busy lifestyle. But that doesn’t mean that an everyday, casual style has to be boring or uninspiring.
Here are 7 ways on how you can easily pull of your very own casual style to look and feel great with outfit ideas from women who tagged #40plusstyle on Instagram.
1. Get To Know Your Body Shape
You probably don’t want to put too much energy into dressing every day, so putting some initial time into learning what your body shape is and what silhouettes are most flattering is the most effective first step to looking your best. Regardless of your style, knowing what outfits and proportions highlight your best features and downplay your flaws guarantees that you look your best always.
Get started by reading How to Determine Body Shape and then follow with the right suggestions for you, like:
- How to Dress the Hourglass Shape
- Free Guide to Dressing the Pear Body Shape
- How to Dress the Apple Body Shape
- How to Dress the Rectangle Body Shape
- How to Dress the Inverted Triangle Shape
2. Edit Your Closet
Now that you know more about what works for your body shape, it’s time for a closet edit. If you want to start looking fresher and more put together, it’s time to toss or donate the following items:
- Items that don’t fit you any longer
- Items you haven’t worn in more than two years
- Anything that is torn, broken or stained
- Clothing that is unflattering for your body shape – too loose, too baggy or too casual (like oversized t-shirts, sweatshirts or baggy, old pants)
It’s far better to have a few, select items that look great on you than being tempted to put on an old or unflattering item when you’re in a rush.
3. What’s Your Go-To Look?
What do you love? Do you love a good pair of jeans? Or an easy, flowy dress? Choose your go-to look that you like to wear all the time and build a wardrobe around it. Instagrammer @fashion_blog_cloche shows above how she changes up a dress by switching out her accessories.
Let’s look at how you can change up your go-to button down shirt and classic jeans as an example:
- Look at your jeans and button down shirt options in your closet. Are they flattering? In good shape? If not, it’s time to replace them with ones that work best for you.
- Vary your go-to look by adding the jeans in a new color or choosing a couple of button down shirts with pattern.
- Find ways to change up the accessories to keep your go-to look seasonal and fresh. For example, add a boot to your options, or a belt or a cardigan or jacket you can layer your look with.
4. Embrace Accessories
Accessories are one of the fastest and easiest ways to add a little extra style when you’re on the run. They add a lot of mileage to your everyday outfits, as shown above by @thedailyfrill on Instagram.
Accessories don’t have to be too fussy or uncomfortable. In fact, casual style accessories can be practical. Some ideas include:
- A good, sturdy handbag
- A scarf
- A nice watch
- New sunglasses
- A lovely, low-key necklace
For more on accessories, read about 10 Essential Accessories for Signature Style.
5. Add Color Or Pattern
Busy women on the go sometimes get stuck in a neutral color rut. Doing something as simple as changing up your top’s color or going with a check, stripe or floral pattern can take your casual outfit (and how you feel in it) to the next level, like Instagrammers @helen_james35, @rethas._.closet and @thedailyfrill show in the image above.
Next time you’re shopping, consider choosing a top in a fresh, new color or a fun stripe instead of choosing a solid white, black or beige. Or add an accessory like a shoe, scarf or handbag in a print you like.
6. Layer Your Casual Outfit
Sometimes, all a casual outfit needs to look more pulled together is one extra layer, like @fave_cin, @lovedbylizzi and @style_remedy show above. Some ideas on how you can layer your casual, everyday look include:
- Adding a scarf or statement necklace
- Adding a sweater or cardigan over your blouse or t-shirt
- Adding a casual jacket or vest
You can even layer in the hotter days of spring and summer by choosing lighter-weight fabrics for your layering pieces. Remind yourself in the morning, when getting ready, to add just one extra layer than you normally would and see what a big difference it can make!
7. Add One Unexpected Detail
How can you set casual style apart? With something as simple as an unexpected detail to your outfit. If your casual, go-to outfit is a sweater and leggings, why not try to find a sweater with an extra detail, like a ruffle, special pattern or asymmetrical cut? Or add a layering piece like a jacket or poncho to change it up?
Maybe you’re a t-shirt and jeans woman. Adding a fun shoe or a colorful belt might be all you need to make the everyday look your signature style.
Check out how the ladies above (@stylishmurmurs, @poppysstyle, @chroniclesofmk and @forty_up) added something different to their casual style to either dress it up, add some interest or have some fun with a basic outfit.
I hope the biggest takeaway from this is that you embrace your style and not compare yourself to anyone else. Maybe you’re not modern or feminine in style or don’t feel drawn to high fashion and that’s perfectly okay. Work with what you have to make YOU a better, happier and more comfortable you.
Identify what is most flattering on you, build your very own capsule around your look and have some fun with it by trying something new now and then that changes up or updates your look. Here